Re: growisofs + problem reading files from recorded dvd-r's

> I have a problem while recording DVD-R's using growisofs. The recording
> usually finishes without any errors and everything seems to be OK, but when I
> try and access files on the DVD I get the following error on my syslog:
> Feb 21 20:58:53 homer kernel: scsi0: ERROR on channel 0, id 0, lun 0, CDB:
> Request Sense 00 00 00 40 00
> Feb 21 20:58:53 homer kernel: Info fld=0x22c0d6, Current sd0b:00: sense key
> Medium Error
> Feb 21 20:58:53 homer kernel: Additional sense indicates Id CRC or ECC error
> Feb 21 20:58:53 homer kernel:  I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 9110360
> This doesn't happen for all the files on the DVD, but usually on just one
> file.

Does the last sentence mean "it fails to read *same* file on every
particular disc" or does it mean "it fails to read *some* file, not
necessarily *same* on every particular disc, every time I try to for
example cpio DVD content to e.g. /dev/null." What happens if you 'dd
if=/dev/dvd of=/dev/null'? Does it exhibit error then? On same sector?
How far this sector from track edge (examine dvd+rw-mediainfo output for
information)?

In either case it smells more like hardware deficiency than software
fault (at least I find it hard to believe that upgrading kernel would do
the magic). It also might be a firmware problem. See for example
http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2004/cdwrite-200402/msg00099.html,
judging from which unit seem to be rather picky about media... A.