Can't format / blank dvd-rw

Hi all,

Some how I have managed to get one of my dvd-rw disks in to a state where it can't be reformatted / blanked. I performed a disk at once write to it using (I am using kernel 2.6.0-1-386 on a standard Debian testing box)

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc -r -J stuff.tar

I then tried another write using the same command but writing other_stuff.tar and got the standard error about the disk already having an isofs. Reading the dvd-rw page though (http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/-RW/) I thought I liked the sound of Restricted Overwrite mode so I ran the command

dvd+rw-format /dev/hdc

The format apparently went fine with no errors. However no when I try to write anything to the disk I get

Executing 'mkisofs -r -J stuff.mp3 | builtin_dd of=/dev/hdc obs=32k seek=0'
:-( track is formatted for fixed packet size

So I tried to reformat the disk using "dvd+rw-format -blank /dev/hdc" (and with -blank=full) and get this

* DVD±RW format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 4.8.
* 4.7GB DVD-RW media in Sequential mode detected.
* blanking .:-( track is formatted for fixed packet size

I have had a really good google for "track is formatted for fixed packet size" and the only reference I can find is in the source code and I'm afraid my c isn't that good :o)

Is there any way to recover this disk? Some secret option to force it back into a writable state.

dvd+rw-mediainfo gives this information:

INQUIRY:                [PIONEER ][DVD-RW  DVR-106D][1.08]
GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
Mounted Media:         14h, DVD-RW Sequential
Media ID:              ProdiscDVDRW
Current Write Speed:   1.0x1385=1385KB/s
Write Speed #0:        1.0x1385=1385KB/s
Speed Descriptor#0:    00/2298495 R@1.0x1385=1385KB/s W@1.0x1385=1385KB/s
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#10h]:
Media Book Type:       32h, DVD-RW book [revision 2]
Legacy lead-out at:    2298481*2KB=4707289088
READ DVD STRUCTURE[#0h]:
Media Book Type:       32h, DVD-RW book [revision 2]
Last border-out at:    0*2KB=0
READ DISC INFORMATION:
Disc status:           appendable
Number of Sessions:    1
State of Last Session: reserved/damaged
"Next" Track:          1
Number of Tracks:      1
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
Track State:           invisible incremental,damaged
Track Start Address:   0*2KB
Free Blocks:           0*2KB
Fixed Packet Size:     16*2KB
Track Size:            0*2KB