growisofs + pipebuf2 = trouble

Hi,

I'm trying to get growisofs to work together with pipebuf2 [1]
and could use some help here, since I'm experiencing problems.

The command line I use is:
cat DVD.iso | pipebuf2 -b 32 | growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr0=/dev/fd/0

The writing process seems to work, as no errors are reported, however the
result is always partially corrupt when using this method. Wrong data is
spread all over the disk. However, if I redirect the pipebuf2 output into
a regular file instead of piping to growisofs, the result is valid. So if
it's a bug in pipebuf2, it only occurs under special circumstances...

Everything is also fine if I use the way proposed by the manpage:
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr0=DVD.iso

I tested this several times, the first method always creates corrupt DVDs
and the second method always succeeds, using the very same ISO image file.

However, I have real trouble with buffer underruns using the second method
because the disk that holds the ISO image is my system disk, and therefore
it's sometimes busy with other stuff. Even if it's just short usage spike,
the internal writer buffer does not suffice. That's why I need an
additional buffer when burning.

Since using growisofs with pipebuf2 was proposed earlier on this list [1],
I was hoping that someone else tried it out too. Does anyone else
experience similar problems? Any hints on how to solve them?

Additional information about my system:
    Athlon XP 2000+, Gentoo, Kernel 2.6.2
    Writer NEC ND1300A, Firmware 1.09, Firewire (Oxford911 enclosure)
    Media Verbatim DLP DVD-R (4x) and DVD-RW (2x), both MCC.
    growisofs version 5.13

TIA,
Andreas Klauer

[1] http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2003/cdwrite-200312/msg00226.html