Re: problems with xcdroast + ide-scsi

On Tue 18 November 2003 21:15, obarrot wrote:
> >Random thoughts:
> >
> >- Try getting the latest version of cdrtools, and compile and
> >install them from source
>
> I'll try what you suggest

Okay. I'm starting to suspect the kernel and/or setup though, so
this is probably not top priority.

> >- From your lsmod output, ide-scsi isn't loaded?
>
> that's right. it's a copy/paste typo

Ok.

> >- The error message "Warning: controller returns wrong size for
> > CD capabilities page." could be due to a firmware bug
> >
> >- The output from readcd you pasted seems to be fine. Does it
> > read it correctly?
>
> no, the PC freezes after a few minutes and the output can't be
> read with -o loop

Hmm. Freezing, but only after a few minutes. Could be an IRQ
problem, but then that's done by the controller, not the drive.
Maybe a chipset problem? See below...

> >- "DGB10: readtoc: no MMC" seems to say that the drive is not
> > MMC compliant. If this is an old Goldstar drive, you may need
> > the gscd.o kernel module.
> >
> >- How is the drive attached to the system? What kind of
> > mainboard do you have?
>
> you're right, it's an old IDE ATAPI Goldstar drive attached on
> the mother board ctler (secondary slave)
> I also have a Traxdata CD writer attached to SCSI (only device in
> the chain).
> My MB is a DFI K6BV3+, VIA MVP3 chipset + with K6-2/500

Make sure you've got VIA chipset support enabled in your kernel, and
perhaps enable PCI Quirks as well. See
Documentation/sound/VIA-chipset about that.

> >- Does it work without ide-scsi, ie with ide-cd? If so, you
> > could add the line
>
> yes, it used to work that way before I swithed to ide-scsi.o.
> I'll try the gscd.o driver
>
> >options ide-cd ignore=hdx
> >
> >with hdx the device of your writer, to use the reader with
> > ide-cd and the writer with ide-scsi. This is not a solution,
> > but may be a workaround.
>
> I can't. xcdroast doesn't recognize non-SCSI devices, that's why
> I've switched to SCSI

Hmm, and neither does readcd on inspection. Sorry about that, it
works for me because I only use my reader to rip audio CDs with
cdparanoia, and my burner to burn ISOs from the net, and backups.
If I want to read an image off a CD, I just use the burner. But
ofcourse that's no good for on-the-fly copying.

Anyway, I'd go with the kernel configuration first. If that doesn't
work, I suggest asking for help on lkml, this sounds like a
kernel/hardware problem rather than a problem with readcd.

Lourens
--
GPG public key: http://home.student.utwente.nl/l.e.veen/lourens.key