Re: problems with xcdroast + ide-scsi

Hello Lourens
thansk for your help. see below

Olivier

Lourens Veen wrote:
On Mon 17 November 2003 22:50, obarrot wrote:

Hi, I can't use my CD-ATAPI cdrom with xcdroast + the ide-scsi.o
module

I had to disable DMA on this CD drive as any operation on the
device freezed totally the
machine!
now I can mount & acccess this /dev/sg1 device ok but readcd does
detect a garbled disk:
a music disk instead of a data disk (see below)

any hints?
thanks

<snip>

Random thoughts:

- Try getting the latest version of cdrtools, and compile and
install them from source

I'll try what you suggest
- From your lsmod output, ide-scsi isn't loaded?

that's right. it's a copy/paste typo
- The error message "Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD
capabilities page." could be due to a firmware bug

- The output from readcd you pasted seems to be fine. Does it read
it correctly?

no, the PC freezes after a few minutes and the output can't be read with -o loop
- xcdroast doesn't seem to detect anything, it just starts cdda2wav.
Although it seems that you snipped some output. Could you try
without XCDRoast? That would give some more legible output as well
as remove a potential source of error

- "DGB10: readtoc: no MMC" seems to say that the drive is not MMC
compliant. If this is an old Goldstar drive, you may need the
gscd.o kernel module.
- How is the drive attached to the system? What kind of mainboard do
you have?

you're right, it's an old IDE ATAPI Goldstar drive attached on the mother board ctler (secondary slave)
I also have a Traxdata CD writer attached to SCSI (only device in the chain).
My MB is a DFI K6BV3+, VIA MVP3 chipset + with K6-2/500
- Does it work without ide-scsi, ie with ide-cd? If so, you could
add the line

yes, it used to work that way before I swithed to ide-scsi.o.  I'll try the gscd.o driver
options ide-cd ignore=hdx

with hdx the device of your writer, to use the reader with ide-cd
and the writer with ide-scsi. This is not a solution, but may be a
workaround.

I can't. xcdroast doesn't recognize non-SCSI devices, that's why I've switched to SCSI
Lourens