Re: speeding up build by eliminating redundant compiles

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 03:11:53PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 02:03:43PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> > > It cuts down on time, but it still takes lots of it. On a lot of pages, we
> > > don't have any use for mp4h's <stuff> other than in the header and in the
> > > footer.
> >
> > Ok, I misunderstood your point.  This problem seems quite hard, since
> > headers and footers are not constant.  I will think about it later.
>
> Yes, I realize this is non-trivial, but it looked like a useful idea to
> ponder about :)
[...]

Some new details:
  * About 50% of our web pages are under the News/ and security/
    directories.  So it should be possible to build a single cached file
    for each category, and only replace some text portions with Perl or
    any shell builtins.  But I did not succeed yet.
  * Speed up with mp4h-1.3.0 and the new i18n-ed templates is ~45% (i.e
    WML runs twice faster) on main index files on klecker.d.o.
    But I had to set LC_MESSAGES variable, it looks like the gettext trick
    does not work with Potato glibc.

Denis