Re: A few high level questions for all platforms

Hi JMP

On 2019/03/20 03:43, Jose Miguel Parrella wrote:
> * As a DPL, what steps would you take (if any) towards reducing the
> workload and breadth of activities the DPL is expected to engage in?

Chris's "bits from the dpl" were more frequent and comprehensive than
previous DPLs, and the good communication is universally well received.
I think it would help if such an update mail also contained a 'request
for help' section when appropriate.

It's also good to know how the DPL is actually doing, although that is
tough to communicate properly. Chris mentioned in a few bits updates
that he spent yet another month spending a large amount of time on
harassment issues. I think it's a bit sad that as a project, we couldn't
do more to support him in that, at the same time I don't have all the
answers on how to achieve that either.

I'm keen on the idea of using bugs for the DPL, it could be filed in
different categories in a dpl virtual package:

1. dpl-rfh

Request for help filed by the DPL, this could be for help on very tiny
specific issues or for more ongoing work.

2. dpl-role

Like anything, the role and definition of the DPL isn't perfect, it
would be good if members, and especially the DPL themselves, can file
bugs against the dpl role. It might not necessarily be something that
can easily be fixed, for example "I spend way too much time working on
harassment issues" and problems like those could be food for thought for
future DPLs who are considering their platform.

3. dpl-advice

Perhaps a call for advice from experts when a DPL needs more information
on a topic, or perhaps request a type of a poll if the DPL wants to
gauge an opinion across the project.

And there could be more, or they could be different than the above
altogether, but the idea is that DPL problems can be easily filed and
discovered, which may make it easier for people to step up and help. It
might also be easier for the DPL (or others) to address problems with
the DPL role.

I just noticed again teh "Help needed" section on
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DPL - it does seem like that section has
gone a bit stale.

So, I suppose I could say that my biggest weapon in fixing load and
breadth of DPL work would be to make it easier to address issues and
pull our resources together to try and solve it.

On a personal note, dealing with harassment-kind of issues sound
extremely boring and draining and I hope that whoever becomes DPL will
have to deal with less of those than our last DPL did.

> * Would you pursue delegating functions such as representing Debian (as
> a spokesperson or otherwise), resolving differences in the project or
> signing authority for expenditures, etc.?

I would want to have more experience with day to day DPL tasks before
commenting on that.

However, I find the idea of a speakers team really interesting. There
are often interesting events happening all over the world at the same
time, and the DPL can only be one place at a time. It might be great if
a team of debian speakers work together on a set of standard slides that
talk about the Debian projects and different topics that are interesting
to the project as a whole at that point. This might enable the project
to do more CfPs and do better at spreading the word of what we're about
and what we're working on.

> * Do you anticipate anything in your platform would require an amendment
> to the constitution or a foundation document, or to otherwise call a GR
> within the next year? If so, what is it and how would you debate it?

Not at all, everything I envision fit well within the existing
frameworks that exist within Debian.

> * Do you believe in the concept of a DPL team? If so, do you plan to
> implement such a concept in the next year? If so, how?

I think it may end up being multiple teams. I think project members
should also feel welcome to mail the DPL at any time and say "hey can I
help with problem #xxxxxx?" and just do a single contribution and move
on. In some ways I think the majority of our active community can have
their part in being a DPL helper. Probably not something that will
happen overnight, but it can be a long-term cultural change.

> * Do you believe Debian is actively pursuing a vision for the next 5
> years? If so, what is it? If not, do you think it should? And if so, how
> do you expect to work with all the decision-making bodies?
I don't believe we are actively pursuing a version for the next 5 years,
and I don't think it's a problem either.

I think 5 years may be an odd fit for us too, our collective rhythms
tend to be synced to Debian releases, so it might be better to sort
collective goals in perious of the next 2, 4 and 6 years to match short,
medium and long term goals with releases.

Mehdi had some great ideas to build a roadmap for Debian, but I think it
got misunderstood by some people and it probably didn't get as much
traction as it deserved.
(https://alioth-lists-archive.debian.net/pipermail/debian-roadmap/Week-of-Mon-20170130/000001.html)

-Jonathan

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer - https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage