Re: supermajority options

Matthias Urlichs wrote:
Hi,

Buddha Buck:

[2a] Discard the result if the CpSSD winner doesn't meet supermajority. Default option (Further Discussion) wins by default. New election to be held after appropriate discussion period.

[2b] Discard the result if the CpSSD winner doesn't meet supermajority. Hold an "instant runoff" using all the remaining options and the same ballots. Repeat until a winner is found.

I used to favor [2b], but I think I like [2a] best right now.

... but what if the second vote fails too?
I'd prefer [2b], with a mandatory "do nothing" option on the ballot. That
way, people can indicate whether further discussion or something else
(or nothing at all) should take place, should the supermajority option
fail.

Except in the case of an election, there should always be a "reject all options" choice on the ballot. Assuming the simple case of a single resolution option, we'd want the ballot to look like:

[  ] ACCEPT resolution declaring Buddha Buck a forbidden interloper
[  ] REJECT resolution declaring Buddha Buck a forbidden interloper
[  ] FURTHER DISCUSSION

It makes no sense to have no way to reject a proposal or an amendment.