Re: Another proposal.

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 05:31:04PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 12:14:02PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> > > Likewise, we've never had an official vote where the winning option would
> > > have failed to satisfy a 3:1 supermajority requirement.
>
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 05:23:32PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Sure we have.
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/vote/1999/vote_0001
> > 	Wichert did not defeat Richard Braakman by a 3:1 margin.
>
> I had only been thinking about the non-leader votes (since only
> on the non-leader votes did I have enough information to run
> the CpSSD algorithm).
>
> Also, I'm not sure what the basis would be for having one potential
> leader have supermajority requirements and another leader not have
> supermajority requirements.
>
> > http://www.debian.org/vote/1999/result_0002
> > 	"DUEL" [sic] license did not defeat "SINGLE" license by even a
> > 	2:1 margin.
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/vote/1999/result_0004
> > 	"SWIRL" defeated "DG" by only 77 to 57.
>
> I was thinking that if we required a supermajority for a logo vote,
> we wouldn't apply it selectively to only one class of logo.  In other
> words, I was thinking that only the default option wouldn't have a
> supermajority requirement.

I don't understand, then.  When have we ever had a non-election vote
where the winning option *did* defeat the first runner-up by a 2:1
margin, let alone 3:1.  I was unable to find one.

> > > In these votes,
> > > the winning option hasn't needed to satisfy that kind of requirement,
> > > but even if they had it wouldn't have been a problem.
> >
> > Well, yeah, it would have, unless I just plain don't know how to read
> > the results, which I suppose is possible.
>
> I'm not sure what you're saying, here.

I'm saying that you're saying "we've never had an official vote where
the winning option would have failed to satisfy a 3:1 supermajority
requirement."

I'm saying "we've never had an official vote (the 2000 DPL election excepted)
where the winning option would have satisfied a 3:1 supermajority
requirement."

In other words, I'm flat out contradicting you.  So either you're wrong,
I'm not reading the historical vote tallies correctly, or I'm in for a
big surprise when it finally dawns on me how CSSD will actually affect
our voting system.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      Ignorantia judicis est calamitas