Re: [OT?] What's wrong with my exim4 configuration?

Thanks to Jonathan and Greg, and others, it seems that the cause for the problem was found.
See below.

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:33:22 +0000
From: Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: [OT?] What's wrong with my exim4 configuration?

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 12:33:46PM +0200, Itay wrote:
I tried several times, including re-issuing 'exim4 -qff'.
It hangs and I have to kill it.
The output is appended below.

OK I wouldn't worry about the hanging from this output. I suspect it's
just the SMTP client and/or server keeping the connection open in case
a subsequent MAIL FROM was on the way. However

Finally -- I don't know if it is significant -- but I note in the
output below, for example 3 lines from the bottom, that the address
'root@fastmail.fm' appears.

That's definitely wrong. I wonder if your aliases file is to blame.
Quoting your first message

2. Put a line in /etc/aliases
'root: root,myemail@fastmail.fm'

Is this not a circular definition?

I think not. 'root' on the right-hand side is considered a local address with domain stripped. I saw this example somewhere on the net, I can look for the reference. Anyway it works! (The purpose is to leave a copy of messages also in the local mailbox of root.)

$ man 5 etc-aliases

/etc/aliases
       is a table providing a mechanism to redirect mail for local
	recipients. /etc/aliases is a text file which is roughly compatible
	with Sendmail. The file should contain lins of the form
       name: address, address, ...

	The  name  is a local address without domain part.
[End quote]

Personally I would try to achieve what you are doing with a
/root/.procmailrc file containing

  :0c
  !myemail@fastmail.fm

  :0
  /var/mail/root

Just to make sure I understand: procmail is not complementary to exim4 for my specific task, but a drop-in replacement; right?

Do you have an /etc/mailname?

This was it!
As Greg pointed out, too.
The file stored 'fastmail.fm'.
I changed it to 'machine.homenetwork' and voila!
Message was delivered: one copy to local root mail box, and one to my public address.

Many-many thanks!
Itay