Re: Installer not reading preseed.cfg

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri 08 Mar 2013 at 22:22:25 -0500, Tom H wrote:

>>> The first post at
>>>
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1601750
>>>
>>> is your situation. The second post gives a solution which is discussed
>>> further at
>>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kickseed/+bug/662931
>>>
>>> The downside is it's for a different distribution. But you never know.
>>
>> When it comes to d-i and preseed, Debian and Ubuntu are the same,
>> except for the version names and the installation of a basic system
>> (Debian's is "d-i tasksel/first multiselect system" and Ubuntu's is
>> "d-i tasksel/first multiselect standard").
>
> I was being cautious :) and at the time hadn't looked at what the
> preseed recommendations for Mirror settings are at
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/example-preseed.txt
>
> Now I have I see
> d-i mirror/country string manual
> is mentioned.

Ubuntu's tweaked d-i here and there (two things that I remember
off-hand is that you have to press F6 to select the expert install and
you're asked whether you want to install grub to all members of an
array when you use mdraid) but it's pretty much the same d-i that
Debian uses.

I have to correct some nonsense above... I interverted Debian and
Ubuntu's "d-i tasksel ...". Debian's basic task is "standard" and
Ubuntu's is "server" (not "system"!). Ubuntu also has "standard" and
"minimal" but I've never checked how much smaller than "server" they
are. Friday night brain-tiredness. Sorry!

>> I've never tried it but I think that you can even use kickseed with
>> Debian's d-i.
>
> I wasn't aware of it until it cropped up in the LP bug report. It
> appears to be an alternative to using preconfiguration files with d-i.

When Ubuntu started going after RHEL customers, the latter must've
said that they wanted to stick to kickstart so Ubuntu developed a way
to preseed d-i with kickstart files to a certain extent.