Installer not reading preseed.cfg

hello debian users,

I am trying to understand an issue i'm having with preseed'ing over the network. wondering if anyone has experienced this in the past and/or have a solution to it.

My pxeboot server (running on centos 6.3) runs dhcpd and tftp from where I'm trying to boot and install debian 6.0.7.  I’m able to get past the questions on locale, keyboard etc. by using the kernel boot parameters on 'append' line in my pxelinux file. At the end of the list on ‘append’ line, I also have a ‘preseed/url="" to get my preseed.cfg from an internal web server.
The issue I’m having is, after the installer correctly sets the locale, keyboard etc as specified on the 'append' line, it just appears to ignore my ‘preseed/url’ parameter and moves on to display the main menu to choose a mirror site (‘ftp.us.debian.org’, etc.).

I can see preseed.cfg being fetched by the installer (as seen in httpd/access.log on the pxeboot server) but it is not really being read.

I wonder if the reason is some kind of a network delay in GET’ting the file by when the installer decides to just move on and show the menu to choose the mirror (?). I'm not sure..
I have spent many hours to fix this issue but without any success.

I really appreciate any feedback, ideas or suggestions that you may have.

Keshav