Re: xserver-xorg vs. xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 18:59:47 +0000, Brian wrote:

> On Thu 02 Feb 2012 at 12:57:50 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 20:28:55 +0000, lee wrote:
>>
>> > Nowadays, you don´t really need to do anything ...
>>
>> No? Nothing? Really? I mean, really?
>
> Yes, really. It's such an improvement on the past.

I'm not that sure...

It can be an improvement for portable devices (notebooks, netbooks) that
need to add on-the-fly output devices and do not usually change the VGA
card. But for a workstation or desktop computers it can be now a hell to
get it working well. Moreover, video card vendors are adding difficulties
to the hardware (e.g., hybrid graphics) while they do not provide free
drivers for their inventions and so leaving the open source users to the
deepest ostracism.

> Nouveau gets the console resolution right and gives a nice framebuffer.
> Start X and it just figures out everything. Then there's KMS. We're
> spoiled.

Nuvó is not an option for some users that need to get the best for their
nvidia cards. Radeon driver is not always working as we would like (I
have a chap with problems with his ati card -iMac5- that cannot work with
gnome-shell, he has to use gnome classical because kernel and/or xorg
segfaults). Intel driver had some annoying problems in the past but now
seems to be a good option.

Nope, I don't like the status of the VGA in linux but that's nothing we
(open source users) can do. Companies have to start releasing their code
with an open source license, giving full specs and providing resources
(developers) to build the drivers. Until that happens, we will still have
many problems :-(

>> You do have to do many things now that were not needed in the old days.
>> For instance, try to install the closed source nvidia driver while
>> having nuvó installed. In the old times, editing one line at xorg.conf
>> was all to get the driver loaded. Now you can be even forced to
>> uninstall one set of the drivers to use the other. And debugging has
>> turned very difficult...
>
> Sounds dreadful! I'm thankful to be among the 95% of PC users who do not
> need 3D acceleration.

The problem is not that *users* need 3D acceleration *but* Google Earth,
gnome-shell, etc... I mean, applications, do ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón