Re: xserver-xorg vs. xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

On Thu 02 Feb 2012 at 12:57:50 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 20:28:55 +0000, lee wrote:
>
> > Nowadays, you don´t really need to do anything ...
>
> No? Nothing? Really? I mean, really?

Yes, really. It's such an improvement on the past. Nouveau gets the
console resolution right and gives a nice framebuffer. Start X and it
just figures out everything. Then there's KMS. We're spoiled.

> You do have to do many things now that were not needed in the old days.
> For instance, try to install the closed source nvidia driver while having
> nuvó installed. In the old times, editing one line at xorg.conf was all
> to get the driver loaded. Now you can be even forced to uninstall one set
> of the drivers to use the other. And debugging has turned very
> difficult...

Sounds dreadful! I'm thankful to be among the 95% of PC users who do not
need 3D acceleration.