Re: xserver-xorg vs. xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> having to deal with the mess of installing a VGA card in linux. It
> never has been so difficult and so hard than now is (or at least I
> don't remember it was when no KMS and no dynamic Xorg existed).

Hum, did you ever try to get X11 to work with an ATI mach32 or mach64
or, later, a Matrox G200, about 15 years ago? Remember your huge 14 or
15" CRT monitor flickering and possibly being damaged when you got the
frequencies too high in your xf86config while trying to get a less
flickery image in an unbelieveably high 1024x768 resolution? And
remember trying to figure out modelines?

Nowadays, you don´t really need to do anything ... What hasn´t changed
is that ATI cards (now made by AMD) cause nothing but trouble ...

Stayvoid, you can use vgaswitcheroo to switch between cards. You need to
have the debugfs mounted for that. If you still get screen output after
switching over, you´re lucky --- I´m not and so I´m stuck with the slow
Intel card.

Unfortunately, the free NVIDA drivers are rather useless when you want
to play games. You can install the non-free ones from the Debian
packages.