Re: HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:02:04 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> Well, HPLIP usually provide more options than the old HPIJS, but indeed,
> losing feataures (even they do not work) should be avoided :-)

I was wondering the same - why the hpcups interface is so bare compared
to the old hpijs printer driver.

> As per HPLIP resolutions, if you examine the PPD file, you get:
>
> ***
> *OutputMode NormalRGB/Normal Color: "<</cupsColorSpace
> 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsRowStep
> 1/OutputType(0)/cupsString0(PlainNormalColor)/HWResolution[600
> 600]>>setpagedevice" *OutputMode NormalGray/Normal Grayscale:
> "<</cupsColorSpace 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsRowStep
> 2/OutputType(0)/cupsString0(PlainNormalGrayK)/HWResolution[600
> 600]>>setpagedevice" *OutputMode DraftRGB/Draft Color:
> "<</cupsColorSpace 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsRowStep
> 0/OutputType(-1)/cupsString0(PlainDraftColor)/HWResolution[300
> 300]>>setpagedevice" *OutputMode DraftGray/Draft Grayscale:
> "<</cupsColorSpace 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsRowStep
> 2/OutputType(-1)/cupsString0(PlainDraftGrayK)/HWResolution[300
> 300]>>setpagedevice" *OutputMode Photo/High-Resolution Photo:
> "<</cupsColorSpace 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsRowStep
> 0/OutputType(2)/cupsString0(PhotoBestPhotoColor)/HWResolution[600
> 600]>>setpagedevice" ***
>
> So, 300ppp/600ppp are "hidden" but are there.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

This is interesting to note. Apparently the web interface for CUPS is not
exposing the settings. But even the hplip-gui tools don't seem to have
the settings necessary to control printout quality and ink-type.

I think this implies that the hpcups driver is more intelligent than the
old hpijs one and should automatically detect the type of ink to be used,
but it hasn't worked so far with my printer.

SO far I haven't read any threads dealing with the hpcups driver. Most of
the online discussions on this issue are centered around the old driver
interface.

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)