Re: HP PSC 1315 printer and hplip/hpcups printer cartridge mode issue

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 16:15:02 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 15:02:03 +0000, Harishankar wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 06:09:01 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>>> No, I am not suggesting you to switch back to any driver, only that
>>> you can try with the latest PPD revision available for your printer,
>>> taking that you are experiencing some problems with the current one.
>>
>> After I installed the latest PPD file for the printer I still see only
>> the following options in printer settings:
>>
>> Normal Color
>> Normal Grayscale
>> Draft Color
>> Draft Grayscale
>> High Resolution Photo
>>
>> I see nothing about the printer settings to suggest that this latest
>> PPD is different from the earlier driver. :-(
>
> If there are no more options for the printer, maybe it's by design. Not
> all printers allow the same settings :-?
>
> Does the windows driver provide addional settings than the linux one?
>
>> Should I try printing a test document to see if both B&W and color
>> cartridge are used to print multi-color documents with black text? (I'm
>> not too hopeful :-(
>
> I think it won't work. You need to be able to define this:
>
> ***
> Text Neutral Grays: 4 colour / [x] black only Graphics Neutral Grays: 4
> colour / [x] black only Photographs Neutral Grays: [x] 4 colour / black
> only ***
>
> And those options are not available for your printer, neither using the
> old PPD nor the lastest :-(
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

I am sure that it was a bug because I cannot afford to waste multi colour
cartridge to generate the black text on pages where I need colour output
also. It does work that way in Windows (maybe because the driver is more
"intelligent"). I'm sure the HP PSC series of Multi-function printers
fall into the category of "cheap" and "unintelligent" (that is the
printer won't do the grunt work of choosing which cartridge to use for
what type of output).

All I need is black text and greyscale graphics to print with black ink
cartridge and colour text and output to print with the colour cartridge.

Hopefully somebody might find a solution to this. The question is how
long will it take for the driver developers to fix it?

--
Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://lawstudentscommunity.com)