Re: segmentation fault with NVIDIA 32bit part

lee schreef:

> The nivida driver seems to provide it's own libraries that replace the
> ones that come from somewhere else (with xorg, I guess).
>
> What's quake3 using? SDL? You could check the quake3 executable to see
> what it is (like: file quake3).
/usr/local/games/quake3/quake3.x86: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel
80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for
GNU/Linux 2.0.0, stripped

> Quake4 uses SDL and tries to load libGL.so.1, which it currently can't
> because it needs the 32bit version of that.
I have a /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1 from the ia32-libs package
apt-file search libGL.so.1
ia32-libs: /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1
ia32-libs: /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1.2
Yet, installing nvidia-glx-ia32 might also provide you with the
necessary file:
nvidia-glx-ia32: /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/libGL.so.1
nvidia-glx-ia32: /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/libGL.so.173.14.09
My understanding, though is that nvidia-glx-ia32 is for 32-bit xserver
environments (eg. xfree86).

I do not notice any problem with the version of libGL.so.1 I use. quake3
does something like 90 fps at the highest quality on my laptop.
Openarena doesn't do much better..
> Anyway, I've seen a forum post on the nvidia website saying that
> you're supposed to use the nvidia driver that comes in your
> distribution because it's supposed to be better integrated than the
> installer provided by nvidia.
>
> So how do I solve the dependency problems with that?
Just install nvidia-kernel-source, nvidia-kernel-common and nvidia-glx.
Ignore the dependency problem of nvidia-glx for now. Continue doing a
module-assistant prepare, m-a auto-install nvidia. That gives you a
compiled kernel module, which will be automatically installed. At this
moment the dependencies for nvidia-glx will be met so it will
automatically be configured as well. Use "nvidia" as your graphics card
driver in xorg (or use nvidia-settings as a tool to create an xorg for
you) and everything should work. At least, for me that's the case ;)

Sjoerd