Re: International Characters

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 03:31:02AM -0700, Tom wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 06:17:07AM -0400, Michael Waters wrote:
> > I'm using mutt and see accented letters fine...  in /etc/environment ,
> > I have:
> >
> > LINGUAS=en_US
> > LC_COLLATE=C
> > LANG=en_US
> >
> > Maybe try that, log back in and restart X.
>
> Joy!  That fixed it.  Thanks.
>
> I don't have an /etc/environment and apt-file search doesn't turn up
> that file; I'm running testing.  What creates that file?

The postinst of the locales package, usually.

Beware of /etc/environment, though. It's really a configuration file for
pam_env. I think it should be used extremely sparingly; much better to
change things in your personal shell startup files.

Also, I'm not sure what if anything pays attention to LINGUAS.

> I'll go googling for these environment variables to see *why* that
> worked; any hints would be appreciated.

'man 7 locale' may help.

Cheers,