Re: International Characters

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 05:09:49PM +0800, Arne Goetje wrote:

> On Tuesday 14 October 2003 15:03, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 23:58, Tom wrote:
> > > During locales setup I generate en_US ISO-8859-1 and en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8,
> > > and set my default to "en_US".
> > >
> > > I'm a dumb american so I haven't done anything else special.  I want to
> > > be able to see western european characters; I can't read chinese or
> > > hebrew but it would be nice to at least see it.  Is there anything
> > > obvious and simple I can do to "turn on" such features?
> >
> > 1) Most GUI applications, such as Galeon, will properly display all UTF
> > characters. The problem comes in the fact that a lot of font sets do not
> > have full UTF characters. This would be why you get the odd character
> > codes most of the time.
>
> Also keep in mind that especially asian people do not use UTF8 as encoding but their local one (SJIS, Big5, GB2312, etc.).
> These ones are not compatible with UTF8 and you will only see garbage even if you have the right fonts installed.
> For them to view in emails you have to use a mailclient which supports all these charsets and can change between them on the fly (like K-Mail does), and/or use a multi-charset taerminal, like mlterm where you can also change the encoding on the fly. But I don't know how mutt reacts on that.
> European users mostly use ISO8859-1 or -15 which contains the Euro sign.

What I don't understand is, a lot of the European developers will send
an email with what is obviously a lowercase-grave-accent-e, which is
clearly supported by my fonts, but it shows up as ? in mutt (and
gnome-terminal, which I've set up for ISO8859-1).  Some of the german
characters are a bit more unusual, but all these fonts display OK at the
console, just not in X.  (Haven't reading European characters in Mutt at
console).  How come I can't see just the basic extended ASCII things?