International Characters

As you might have read in another of my posts, I've got a pretty
"beautiful" font-environment going.  However, I'm completely stuck with
American characters -- everybody's accent-e, umlaut-u, and of course
chinese just shows up as ? in Mutt in gnome-terminal, and Mozilla the
slightest unusual character shows up as a character-code-picture.

During locales setup I generate en_US ISO-8859-1 and en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8,
and set my default to "en_US".

I'm a dumb american so I haven't done anything else special.  I want to
be able to see western european characters; I can't read chinese or
hebrew but it would be nice to at least see it.  Is there anything
obvious and simple I can do to "turn on" such features?