Re: WAS: Curious...Are most of you in tech-related--NOW, I gave up and went back to Mandrake :-(

on Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 10:47:18AM +0200, Alaa The Great (alaa@linux-egypt.org) wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:13:23 -0800
> Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:
>

> > The other half of RPM hell that needs to be fixed if RPM is going to
> > be considered usable.
>
> it is actually more a problem of bad packages than a problem of a bad
> system, most RPM packages have file dependencies for libraries, so
> they have to have /usr/lib/libfubar.4.5.so.3, instead of package
> dependencies lie depends on libfubar >= 4.5 etc.

The lack of Policy is also critical.  APT works as it does because the
packaging formats and tools are driven by policy.

Rick Moen has made some occasional comments about Connectiva Linux's
experience building a policy-based RPM system.  Google should return
some hits on the topic.  In general, it's tended to validate much of
what you'll hear Debian users (who understand policy) say, and there's
been an ongoing issue on the part of Connectiva of having to reëducate
people on what policy is about.

The commercial angle is very likely another factor.  Debian doesn't have
to compromise technical considerations for marketing ones, so it
doesn't.  This is IMO a reflection of the broader lessons of free
software.

Peace.

   At the sound of the toner, boycott Lexmark:  trade restraint via DMCA.
    http://news.com.com/2100-1023-979791.html