Re: WAS: Curious...Are most of you in tech-related--NOW, I gave up and went back to Mandrake :-(

> Mandrake 9.0 has GNOME 2 on it, which is cool, and it still has
> development tools that I can learn on.  Aside from the bad taste
> that RPMS leave in peoples' mouths, is Mandrake really THAT bad?  I
> need more of the basics to understand this stuff.  Need to spend
> more time in the CLI, and Mandrake can let me do that when I want,
> yet give me a functional GUI when I want it.

As a former Mandrake user, I would say no it isn't that bad. But, like
you, I hate the whole RPM way of dealing with installing programs, so I
found Debian to be a perfect match. However, maybe you could try apt-rpm
while you're using Mandrake? http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/ It says it's
for RedHat, but I've heard of Mandrake users being successful with it.
It could make things more bearable for you until you either (a) get a
new sound card or (b) figure out how to make your current one work.

> I can't help but feel like a bastard, though.  I want Debian, Slack,
> or Gentoo to work for me, but need to break myself in or I won't
> even survive the install.

Question: Why are you picking the more advanced distro's automatically?
There is no reason to feel bad. You have to get a fundamental knowledge
base (as well as have the right hardware.) Do you want them to work for
bragging rights or something? Mandrake/RedHat/SuSE *are* user friendly
(more so than any of the 3 distro's you listed) but that doesn't mean
they're for complete idiots. Take your time ;)

Erinn