Re: Curious...Are most of you in tech-related careers/schooling?

Okay, I'll weigh in.

I'm finishing up my master's degree in electrical engineering.  My lab
is solely Linux and Solaris machines, but used Linux exclusively for a
couple of years during my undergrad, too.  Everybody used to wonder why
my reports looked so much better than everybody else and I was sharing
PDF files rather than .DOCs.  We all know, of course, that LaTeX and
pdfLaTeX are the answers to those questions.

I was a latecomer to the "computer owner" scene, even though they always
used to make me drool when I was growing up.  I got my first machine in
'97, but I was a regular computer user since '94.

My friend introduced me to Linux during my undergrad and I eventually
converted.  My first install was RH 5.2.  Man, that was an ugly
distribution!  Not a single pretty tool in the whole mess.  No wonder I
made such fast friends with the command line.  I eventually converted
to Mandrake, since it was easier to maintain (they had that rudimentary
up2date-like system a couple of years before RH).  I then met another
friend who basically called me a little girl for running Mandrake, and
he introduced me to the beauty of 'apt'.  Nedless to say, it didn't take
long before I was installing potato on my own system.

So I use Linux (but not Debian) at work, and then I obviously can't get
enough because I come home and continue hacking on my Debian box (much
to the consternation of my wife).

I remember being a helplessly clueless newbie.  But if you're diligent
about reading docs and using google, you'll soon find yourself to be a
capable sysadmin.

Stephen W. Juranich                         sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering         http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic
University of Washington            http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/ssli