Re: restricting tripwire update to subdirs

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> [2002-09-15 22:48:27 +0200]:
> So you think AIDE rocks, huh? Why (compared to tripwire)?

I used (and still use on another os) tripwire back when it was free
software.  Then the author took the same route that ssh's and xv's
author took.  He decided to take the previously free software and turn
it into proprietary software.  At that time anyone could continue to
use the previous free version.  Newer versions were available only
under the restricted copyright.  It was still no charge for
non-commercial use.  But not free software.

I have never felt kindly disposed to someone releasing something as
free and then retracting it after it becomes popular.  I consider that
breaking a taboo.

The AIDE project was designed to solve that problem.  Like OpenSSH it
is a free software reimplementation.  Unlike OpenSSH it is not
strictly compatible but that is not needed here.  It is GPL and
unencumbered by restrictions.  It has very nice email reports of file
changes.  It is under active development.  I converted to it because
it was free (speech) software but have remained because it does
everything I need it to do.

  apt-cache show aide

I will note that the most recent release is not as portable as I would
like at the source code level.  I have had difficulty getting it to
run on other commercial unix systems.  The development continues and
the authors are addressing the portability problems.  But if you are
on Debian the work has already been done for you by the maintainer.
Install and go.  apt-get install aide

Configuration drift:

I always install aide (and tripwire) so that it emails me incremental
changes and updates the database automatically.  I expect my systems
to have some changes.  I don't want to have to spend more time
updating the security database than it takes to actually update the
system.  But I do want alarm bells to go off when things change.  If I
expect those changes I can log them and move on.  If I don't expect
those changes then I want to be alerted to them.  I think the
following will describe my local customization and configuration
reasonably well to /etc/cron.daily/aide.

  -#aide --check >$LOGFILE 2>$ERRORLOG
  +aide --update >$LOGFILE 2>$ERRORLOG
  +mv -f $DATABASE.new $DATABASE

I am sure some people who need to run very hardened systems would
claim this is throwing caution to the wind.  But those people should
not be running from a writable hard disk anyway, they should be
running from CDROM.  :-)

I mail the reports off to a different system where I examine them
daily.  I often get reminded that I changed something yesterday and
forgot about it.  Updating the database at the same time as the check
is much more efficient and faster than running a check and separately
updating the database later.  Also the default two passes open a
window of time where unauthorized changes can happen and not be
reported.  Therefore I prefer the single pass update.  Also, I keep
backup copies of the aide database and can do more long term compares
of what changed since that snap if need be.  (Needed that once.)  The
method is a good one for me.  YMMV.

Bob