restricting tripwire update to subdirs

ii  tripwire       2.3.1.2-6      A file and directory integrity checker.

When I do a small change to, say /etc/passwd, then that changes the
/etc directory as well as the /etc/passwd file in tripwire's eyes.
With version 1.x I could tell it to update just those entries,
I didn't have to rerun the --update procedure over the entire
filesystem.

How does one do that with tripwire 2.x? tripwire --update -I -R /etc
doesn't work.

out of my mind. back in five minutes.