Re: [OFF TOPIC] majordomo and exim

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 04:40:24PM -0400, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
 > On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 11:58:47AM +0100, Keith Robinson wrote:
 > | On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 11:47:11AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
 > |  > On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 11:33:43AM +0100, Keith Robinson wrote:
 >
 > |  > > 2002-09-13 11:16:16 17pnUm-0003KL-00 Neither the system_aliases
 > |  > > director nor the address_pipe transport set a uid for local
 > |  > > delivery of |/home/majordom/runtime/wrapper majordomo
 >
 > This shows precisely what the problem is.  Neither the director nor
 > the transport you configured told exim what uid to setuid() to before
 > invoking that program to pipe the mesasge to.  (as the log said, in a
 > nicely terse manner :-))
 >
 > The simplest solution is to put the line
 >     user = majordomo
 > on the 'system_aliases' director in your exim.conf.  Look in section
 > 20 of /usr/share/doc/exim/spec.txt.gz.  Specifically go to line 10524
 > and start reading there.

 Success! Thanks!  I think I'll sit down and brush up on exim.  Seriously, thank you!  I can't believe that guy (in a previous thread) who bitched about how unhelpful you guys are.  This wasn't even a debian specific question - I mean, this didn't even get answered on the majordomo mailing list (probably should have posted to exim mailing list first)!

 > |  > > Is it better than majordomo?
 > |  >
 > |  > It's a contentious issue.
 > |
 > |  Perhaps a little less contentious would be: what is people's
 > |  preferred mailing list management software (and why)?  I'd be
 > |  interested to know.  I just went the majordomo route because I'd
 > |  heard of it previously and thought I'd give it a go.  Not exactly a
 > |  decision based on science, but hey...
 >
 > I would choose mailman because :
 >     1)  I like the UI from a user perspective
 >     2)  I know a bit about the developers and trust them
 >     3)  I like python (the implementation language)
 >
 > YMMV :-).

 Yes, I like perl (majordomo's implementation language).

  Thanks again!

  Keith