Re: Latex and utf8

On Mit, 22 Mär 2006, Kai Hendry wrote:
> > - ptex (publishing Japanese TeX), I don't know, but maybe it works with
> >   Korean
>
> Is that just a case of installing the package? Or does it also involve
> modifications to my latex source?

As Kohda-san said, it does not suppor Korean, so forget it.

> > - CJK package, which should work with utf8 input
> >   here you have to read up, but there is quite a lot of documentation
> >   on CJK around.
> > If you want to use the later option, I recommend the installation of
> > teTeX3 or TeX live (if you have unstable, then you with 99% teTeX3, for
> > testing you have to get teTeX3 backports), and furthermore the latex-cjk
> > package (maybe only latex-cjk-korean) which are hopefully going into
> > unstable soo, but are available from
> >         deb http://chinese.alioth.debian.org latex-cjk/
>
> Ok, I'll wait for them to hit unstable. Any ETA?

No idea. But you can install them from there. They are very well
packaged and I have them on my sestem testing them regularly.

> I just wondered really if there was some grand design for latex to
> natively support utf8.

Well utf8 *is* supported, but the problem is of course with as soon as
you get utf8 encoded items which are outside the 256 range, which
happens quite fast.

YOu could of course go the omega/aleph way, where you have full utf8/ucs
input capabilities ...

> Are the any good executive briefs that inform me what tetex3 and texlive
> bring to the table?

Well, everything new, isn't this enough ;-)

Tausands of things: tetex2 is stone old (pdftex 1.10 or so?), very old
packages. teTeX3 and TeX live are more or less uptodate, texlive for
debina is based on the 2005 edition which came out just a bit ago.

I guess Frank could tell you more...

SHOEBURYNESS (abs.n.) The vague uncomfortable feeling you get when
sitting on a seat which is still warm from somebody else's bottom.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff