Re: Latex and utf8

>> I just wondered really if there was some grand design for latex to
>> natively support utf8.
>
> Well utf8 *is* supported, but the problem is of course with as soon as
> you get utf8 encoded items which are outside the 256 range, which
> happens quite fast.
>
> YOu could of course go the omega/aleph way, where you have full utf8/ucs
> input capabilities ...

Or XeTeX:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=XeTeX

It only produces dvi currently, but it natively supports utf-8 with all
characters, and OpenType Font features.  It's been developed on the Mac,
but the Linux port is well on the way (meaning: I've seen it running,
but there's probably no official release yet).

Debian Developer (teTeX)