Re: Latex and utf8

On 2006-03-22T06:40+0100 Norbert Preining wrote:
> > >         \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> > It doesn't work with the Korean letters I've tried.
> Ok, this is not surprising. I guess you would have to take one of the
> followin goptions:
> - ptex (publishing Japanese TeX), I don't know, but maybe it works with
>   Korean

Is that just a case of installing the package? Or does it also involve
modifications to my latex source?

> - CJK package, which should work with utf8 input
>   here you have to read up, but there is quite a lot of documentation
>   on CJK around.
> If you want to use the later option, I recommend the installation of
> teTeX3 or TeX live (if you have unstable, then you with 99% teTeX3, for
> testing you have to get teTeX3 backports), and furthermore the latex-cjk
> package (maybe only latex-cjk-korean) which are hopefully going into
> unstable soo, but are available from
>         deb http://chinese.alioth.debian.org latex-cjk/

Ok, I'll wait for them to hit unstable. Any ETA?

I just wondered really if there was some grand design for latex to
natively support utf8.

Are the any good executive briefs that inform me what tetex3 and texlive
bring to the table?

Thank you for your help,