Re: larry

On Sunday 27 February 2005 09.54, Mr Mike wrote:
> and debian too..  With the new adaptation of the anaconda installer from
> RH, a very big roadblock to using debian has been removed.  Now it needs to
> provide a more unified gui administration toolset like mandrake then there
> should be no reason why anyone couldn't/wouldn't want to give it a serious
> look..

Well, I don`t know if it is as positive that the new installer has been
adapted as you say. The first time I booted the sarge-cd I was shocked. It
was just like windows. It was not userfriendly, it was n00bfriendly. (Even a
goose could install sarge if you put enough grain on the enter key...) The
expert option was a lot better, but I still want the nice, transparent
installer from potato/woody back. My solution was to manually install the
system with debootstrap...
I think, if debian gets too `userfriednly` it will end like windows. There are
several other distributions gui-installers and config tools. (yast, mcc...)
The `advanced` users want a simple, transparent system like debian. E.g. it
seems much more userfriendly to me to edit a textfile than to click around
half an hour on the gui-s... And if a user has learned all the basics on an
outher distribution, if he is ready to face the CLI, than he should try
debian. All the others should play around with gui-s. (imho)

Regards,
Csaba

--
http://tuxworld.homelinux.org