woody on Sparc Classic

Hi,

I am trying to install woody on a Sparc Classic from the floppy. The rescue
disk runs fine, although it complains of disk change being called too early
before it is ejected. But the root disk complains of

failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-4c46, errno = 8

and stays there. Apparently the kernel is not able to run modprobe beacuse
it is an ELF binary, but the kernel in ftp.debian.org has ELF support
compiled in, according to

ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-sparc/3.0.23-2002-05-2
1/sun4cdm/kernel-config

Does anybody know what is wrong in here? What can I do to sort this out?

Many thanks,

iago