Kernel 2.4.19 and ide-scsi

I have read here that kernel 2.4.19 is stable on Ultrasparc, and
performs well in a server environment.  Is this also generally true
for workstations?

I had trouble getting sound to work (which I eventually resolved --
see archives; came up muted).  Now I have been banging my head against
the wall for my IDE CD burner.  It works fine in 2.2.20 (reading and
writing).  The catch seems to be that the 'ide-scsi' module doesn't
exist in 2.4.19.  Am I missing something stupid?  Has anyone else
gotten an IDE CD burner working under 2.4 on sparc?  (It shouldn't
matter, but it's a 440Mhz Ultra 10.)

Thanks,
  Rob.