Re: Console on SS20

James Fowler wrote:
Hello,

I have Woody running on a SS20. I installed it with a head on it and keyboard attached. Now I would like to move the machine to an entirely serial connection. (I need the graphics card for another machine). I'm not quite certain how to do this.
I would like:
1) to have the PROM output to console
2) have linux send everything to console

What is the easiest fastest way to accomplish this? Right now when I hook up the console I get nothing. Ideas?

If you boot it with no keyboard, the prom will automatically switch to
serial console.  The kernel should notice this and do the same (output
to serial console).

The only thing left to change is /etc/inittab (maybe Debian should
look into automatically switching this?).

Backup the file to /etc/inittab.console.  Then uncomment the
"T0" line near the end of the file to get a console on the
serial port.

Also, comment out the lines that look like:
  1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
for tty1 through tty6.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu