Re: Sparc(s) won't read Debian CDs (Thanks - I'm up)

Ken McNamara <conmara@grandcanyonhiker.com> wrote:

> Rob -
>
> These are CD-R disks from http://www.linux-cd.com/
>
> In the meantime I finally worked up the nerve to do a 'boot cdrom' from
> the 'ok' prompt - and (of course) it booted up just fine.
>
> Must be that SunOS 5.7 can't read the Debain distribution.

Interesting.  When I installed Linux on an SS20, the system would refuse to
boot from the CD.  I guess some of the machines don't understand CD
booting, while others do.

On the inability to read the CD, I think Solaris tends to use a different
block size for CDs than most other systems do (I think they use 512 byte
chunks instead of 1024 or something like that).  Glad to hear you got it
working, though.

--
        Mike Hicks   [mailto:mhicks@csom.umn.edu]
   Unix Support Assistant    | Carlson School of Management