Re: Sparc(s) won't read Debian CDs (Thanks - I'm up)

Rob -

These are CD-R disks from http://www.linux-cd.com/

In the meantime I finally worked up the nerve to do a 'boot cdrom' from
the 'ok' prompt - and (of course) it booted up just fine.

Must be that SunOS 5.7 can't read the Debain distribution.

KenMc

Rob Walsh wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 11:00:46AM -0600, Michael Hicks wrote:
> > Ken McNamara <conmara@grandcanyonhiker.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello to everyone.
> > >
> > > I just got my first set of Debian CDs.
> > >
> > > They read fine on 2 different PCs - but 2 different Sparc 20's can't
> > > read them.  Each Sparc reads CDs just fine until I put these in.
> > >
> > > Has anyone seen anthing like this?  Any suggestions?
> >
> > The Sparc 20 CD-ROM drive is so slow (1x, 150kB/s) that you'd be better off
> > mounting the disk on another machine and exporting via NFS, or making the
> > files accessible via FTP or HTTP.  If you're installing, just make some
> > boot floppies and install over the network.
>
> This reminded me of another issue I've had with older CDROM drives
> (Sun and otherwise): Many (most?) older drives will not read CD-RW
> disks.  Do you know if the CD's are mastered, CD-R's, or CD-RW's?
>
> Later,
>   Rob.

     KenMc - conmara@grandcanyonhiker.com
       http://www.grandcanyonhiker.com
              See our new video -
'Hiking the Grand Canyon - The Corridor Trails'