Re: System.map Errors

 > When I do a ps or anything else which accesses the kernel I will get the
 > following message:
 >
 > {iommu_lockarea} {___f_mmu_lockarea}
 > Warning: /boot/System.map-2.2.19 does not match kernel data.
 > {iommu_lockarea} {___f_mmu_lockarea}
 > Warning: /usr/src/linux/System.map does not match kernel data.

I had the same kind of errors on intel PC's, all the same boxes but
only some of them had trouble. I was modifing kernel configuration
and recompiling with same source tree for the 9th or 10th time,
and then i went into trouble :
   {journal_check_used_features}
     {journal_check_used_features_R__ver_journal_check_used_features}
   Warning: /boot/System.map-2.4.17-4 does not match kernel data.
I noticed that the last change i've made in the kernel was enabling
ext3fs support. I may have forgot to make distclean the source tree
but i'm not sure of that.
Well what did i do to fix it ? I saved /usr/src/linux/.config, then
i removed the whole source tree and then i recompiled from scratch
the whole kernel and modules, well that was sufficient to fix my problems.
Hope this will help you.

Regards.

--
Davy Gigan
System & Network Administration          [Please no HTML, I'm not a browser]