Re: Changing the default version of Ruby to be 1.9

On 04/01/12 at 08:37 -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On 01/04/2012 07:17 AM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> >>
> >>Did I miss a step?
> >
> >ruby-switch hasn't migrated to testing yet, you need to use unstable.
>
> DOH!
>
> After installing unstable, i was able to run the following commands:
>
> # apt-get install ruby1.9.1
> # apt-get install ruby-switch
> # ruby-switch --set ruby1.9.1
> # apt-get install apt-listbugs
>
> With those in place:
>
> # ruby -v
> ruby 1.9.3p0 (2011-10-30 revision 33570) [x86_64-linux]
>
> # apt-listbugs
> E: You need to specify a command.
> Usage: apt-listbugs [options] <command> [arguments]
>
> I don't want to guess what problems you were seeing.  Can you tell
> me of a specific command (complete with arguments) that doesn't
> work?

It failed for me when I tried to install another package (try apt-get
install tcsh), since apt-listbugs is called by APT during the
installation process. But I think that it boils down to some packages
needing to be migrated.

> What's needed is a plan to get Ruby 2.0 (which hasn't shipped yet)
> and Rails 4.0 (ditto) into Debian unstable at some point, and then
> to work backwards to see what is needed to make that happen.
>
> I've been building and testing the scenario and examples from
> multile editions of my book against multiple versions of Rails
> running on multiple versions of Ruby:
>
> http://intertwingly.net/projects/dashboard.html
>
> If we can focus on a common future, I can help by running tests,
> providing patches upstream, and building packages.

At this point of time, I consider that we are still building the
foundations for Ruby in Debian. While rails is a valuable target, there
are others. For example, I needed to get 'mechanize' working yesterday
(the latest version, not the one in Debian, that still has to be
migrated), and that required me to quickly install several other gems
with gem2deb. It worked fine in the end, but one could expect that a gem
as popular as mechanize is available in its latest version in Debian.

Getting Ruby 2.0 in Debian is easy, and it's also easy to test and
rebuild all current (migrated to gem2deb) packages with that version.

The main blocker for rails 3.0 and rails 4.0 is to get the stack of
dependencies packaged in Debian. (that's the problem people working on
diaspora are facing too). Once the most popular common dependencies are
packaged in Debian, it will be much easier to package new gems.

Lucas