Re: Changing the default version of Ruby to be 1.9

On 04/01/12 at 07:05 -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On 01/04/2012 02:26 AM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> >On 03/01/12 at 08:00 -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
> >>ruby-switch is not found using Ubuntu 11.10.
> >
> >Right. I try to keep track of what Ubuntu includes or not, but that's
> >usually the first task to suffer when I'm too busy.
> >A good way to do that is to start from
> >http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=pkg-ruby-extras-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org
> >and submit Ubuntu sync requests where needed.
> >
> >Normally ruby-switch should be imported automatically since it should
> >reach Debian testing before Ubuntu's "Debian import freeze".
> >
> >>I downloaded debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso with the intention of
> >>running it inside VirtualBox.  Graphical install froze: no response
> >>to tab keys or mouse.  Non-graphical mode puts out what appears to
> >>be an unending stream of "INFO: kbd-mode: setting console mode to
> >>Unicode (UTF-8)" messages.  Trying control-C produces a Segment
> >>Fault, after which the messages resume.
> >
> >Probably a virtualbox problem. Have you tried kvm, or simply using a
> >chroot built with debootstrap?
>
> I was previously unaware of debootstrap, and it does look like
> something I could use.  I'll look more into apt-cache, but I was
> able to get something going using:
>
> # debootstrap testing /tmp/testing
> # chroot /tmp/testing
>
> Unfortunately, from there, I can't seem to find ruby-switch:
>
> # cat /etc/debian_version
> wheezy/sid
>
> # cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing main
>
> # apt-get install ruby-switch
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> E: Unable to locate package ruby-switch
>
> Did I miss a step?

ruby-switch hasn't migrated to testing yet, you need to use unstable.

> I am both a fan of Debian based distributions (in particular
> Ubuntu), and of Ruby, and am willing to invest time in bringing
> Debian up to date in the hopes that such effort will eventually be
> picked up by Ubuntu.
>
> However, for me that does not mean preparing a package for Rails 2.3
> which was released in 2009 with the hopes that it will be included
> in Ubuntu in 2013.
>
> My current installation instructions tell people to use rvm.  When
> Rails 4.0 comes out, I will likely update that to say rbenv.  If
> there is any way that we can work together and I can make that
> apt-get install, I would very much like that.

I'm not involved in rails packaging, and I've never used it. But I
mainly see rails in Debian as a prerequisite to package rails-based
applications. For developers of web apps, I'm not sure it makes sense to
install rails using apt-get.

Lucas