Re: Changing the default version of Ruby to be 1.9

On 02/01/12 at 13:13 -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
> The Ruby team has indicated that they plan to stop providing bug
> support for Ruby 1.8.7 later this year, and to drop all support next
> year:
>
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2011/10/06/plans-for-1-8-7/
>
> The Rails team has indicated that they will be dropping support for
> Ruby 1.8.7 with the next major release, expected to occur later this
> year:
>
> http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2011/12/20/rails-master-is-now-4-0-0-beta
>
> Given that Debian already provides support for changing the default
> version, wouldn't it make sense for the next release of Debian (and
> the next release of Ubuntu, given that 12.04 is intended to be LTS
> release) to default to Ruby 1.9.3?

Taking http://pkg-ruby-extras.alioth.debian.org/wheezy/details.html, I
think that we should migrate or remove all packages with popcon > 200
(for the Ruby package).

At this point, I think that we should file wishlist bugs for the
remaining packages. Anyone willing to do that? (with a usertag, etc)

Also, there's some mess to clean up. The 'rails' source package should be
replaced by the 'ruby-rails-2.3' source package by introducing
transitional packages.

Finally, we should test what happens when 1.9 is used. Everybody, please
install ruby-switch and run 'sudo ruby-switch --set ruby1.9.1'.
At least apt-listbugs is currently broken when I do that.

Lucas