Re: Call for a new DPL mediation ... This will be the only thread i will reply to in the next time about this issue.

Chris Waters <xtifr@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 12:14:42AM -0400, Benjamin Seidenberg wrote:
>
>> AIUI (please, correct me if I am wrong) the D-I repository is hosted on
>> svn.d.o, a machine belonging to the debian project.
>
> Currently hosted perhaps (I really don't know), but alternate hosting
> could probably be found if the d-i team felt it necessary.  I'm fairly
> certain that d-i meets all the necessary criteria for Sourceforge or
> Savannah, for example.
>
> I want to make it clear that I don't think AJ or the project is trying
> to force anyone onto anyone's team, or doing anything else wrong.  I'm
> simply saying that such an attempt to control the membership of a team
> _would_ be futile if the team wasn't willing, so there's little point
> in saying that AJ _should_ "just give Sven access".  He really doesn't
> have that power unless the d-i team is willing to cooperate!
>
> Neither AJ, nor the Tech Ctte., nor even the whole project through a
> GR has the power to make Sven a member of the d-i team unless the d-i
> team is willing to have Sven as a member.

As long as the D-I team is a debian team the debian constitution
holds. As such the DPL and a GR have certain powers.

People keep saying that you can't force volunteers to do anything but
that is wrong. You (as in GR, DPL or proper delegate) can always force
them out, replace them with someone else or disband the team
completly.

Don't get me wrong. I'm NOT saying this should happen, would happen or
anything. But if neccessary that option remains. Sven could be forced
onto the D-I team, everyone else can quit or live with it. If
membership of Sven would be considered more essential than the rest of
the team (and that will never happen for any one person) that remains
a possibility. How ever far fetched that is.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: I'M NOT SAYING THAT SHOULD HAPPEN. Mediation is about compromise
and not about force anyway.