Re: Google ads on debian.org

* Martin Schulze (joey@infodrom.org) [041213 19:30]:
> Stephen Frost wrote:
> > It's not clear to me that having ads would make them 'commercial'.  This
> > would be something that would have to be run by the appropriate people
> > at SPI.  I doubt tbm would have brought it up if it would cause a
> > problem for the non-profit status of SPI.

> If you seek to generate income with your website, then it's not a
> not-for-profit one anymore but a for-profit one and is actually
> commercial.  Several of our sponsors are universities which have
> strict profit/non-profit policies.  For sure, my university had
> to terminate providing a mirror once such advertisments occur.
> I'm pretty sure about a similar policy in Dresden where the mirror
> www.de.debian.org is located.

I personally don't see the issues so problematic as you do. But: A lot
of (valuable) project members disagree, and, frankly speaking, keeping
you (and some other people happy) is much more important for Debians
goals than to receive some money or not by google. So, in the end, I
think we should decline the offer, because Debian is about the people
and their freedom, and not about the money.

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/