Re: Debian and X-Windows

On Thursday 03 June 2004 05:28, Sean Schertell wrote:
> Congratulations!  How do you like it?  I'm not sure if this will fix your
> scroll wheel or not but I think you need this in the mouse section of your
> XF86Config-4:

Both mouse options cause X to fail. I'll put up with no wheel. While Debian
without X is intolerable, the combination of Debian and graphics is very
nice. My experience is a marked difference from my first go-round with
Debian, which lasted weeks without any solution to the X configuration. What
made  the difference this time was I had more Linux distros -- Slackware,
YDL, Mandrake, Gentoo -- under my belt and knew which items I needed to
concentrate on. Having a bit more understanding of configuring Linux to work
with my iMac turned earlier frustration into a few minutes of searching on
Google. I found an XF86Config-4 file that worked on one iMac, copied it to
my /etc/X11 directory, rebooted and was greeted by GDM.

I do believe Debian, albeit enjoying the exclusivity that comes from being one
of the most difficult Linux distros to configure, would do greatly by
creating a central repository of working config files: especially those
covering the most wanted: X, printing and sound. Yellow Dog Linux users are
doing this with great success.

Other observations: Kmail is a very worthy application for day-to-day
e-mailing. Kmail is well suited for mail lists (I reply to the list, not the
individual writer, as is the case from Mail.app) and doesn't get in the way
with too much complexity -- although it is far from bare bones.

Also, I am enjoying Linux being Linux, rather than an overly branded version
of some particular distro.

I also love how apt-get makes installing new software for Linux on par with
other major desktops. I'm sure I am not alone in wanting my OS to help me be
more productive, not for my productivity being wasted first creating a
useable environment.

My next major project is setting up CUPS so that I can use my USB printer.

Ed