Re: Debian and X-Windows

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 04:02:44PM +0000, Ed Sutherland wrote:
> I do believe Debian, albeit enjoying the exclusivity that comes from being one
> of the most difficult Linux distros to configure, would do greatly by
> creating a central repository of working config files: especially those
> covering the most wanted: X, printing and sound. Yellow Dog Linux users are
> doing this with great success.

You are wrong. It should mostly work out of the box, and it does not.
There is the xfree86 configuration questions which you should answer,
and get a working X config. If this is not the case, then this is a bug,
and should be reported against the corresponding package, preferably
with patch.

> My next major project is setting up CUPS so that I can use my USB printer.

Which mostly works out of the box. You install the packages (cupsys, the
cupsomatic/foomatic stuff, etc, maybe a task or meta package for this
should be good), you browse localhost:631, and add a printer. 5 mouse
clicks, and voila your printer is working (well works fine for my
samsung ML1210 at least).

I wonder how to setup CUPS to accept remote printing requests though, i
was not able to achieve that.

Friendly,

Sven Luther