Re: X 4.0.2 issues...

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 03:36:21PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> [Sorry for the CC, Ani; I don't know if you subscribe to this list.]
>
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 12:15:54PM -0800, Ani Joshi wrote:
> > Wrong, its not that I "can't" seem to get the modifications in the tree,
> > its because I haven't even submitted them yet.  I'm waiting for feedback
> > from some users before I do that, and that will only happen before the
> > next release.  I don't have time to keep updating my tree with CVS all day
> > to please debian or any other folks, if you have problems with X and need
> > my tree, then use it but don't expect me to do anymore then this.  The
> > patches will get in at the appropriate time.
>
> Ani, please don't let the words of a professional blockhead like Sven
> LUTHER influence your perception of my thoughts on the subject.

Please, ...

what is going on here, ...

The only thing i said in my previous mail (aside from stating the fact that
branden don't like me, which you would see confirmed in this current mail, but
then maybe it is just branden's special way to threat peoples) is that i
didn't think that posting a patch to this or any other list would be enough
for the patches to be included in the debian packages, especially if it may
conflict with some other patches already in there for more important
architectures than powerpc. I have found it easier to submit patches directly
upstream, but then i am a Xfree86 member and actively do driver developpment
in my spare time. That said, maybe this approach may be better for everyone
involved, as patches to Xfree for important stuff should not be something
debian specific, and it would make everyone's job more easy if it is included
upstream. But then other may disagree with me, without the need to shout or
use agressive language (well exept branden of curse, we would doubt that it is
trully him if he didn't be agressive, wouldn't we ?).

> I've talked with Dan Jacobowitz about this issue, and we've come to the
> grudging truce that we're simply going to have to wait for your patches to
> get into XFree86 proper for them to appear in Debian.

Well, just what i said, So why shout on me ?

That said, you haven't answered me on the mail where i asked what to do wbout
the glint driver problem which is fixed in both the 4.0.2 and main cvs
branches. Will you wait for 4.0.3, or would you accept a debian patch of it ?
The debian XFree86 package is utterly unuseable for the glint driver, at least
those using a gamma chip.

Friendly,

Sven Luther