Re: NEWBIE: bootdisk for powermac

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 10:42:05AM +0100, Sebastiaan wrote:

> The installation disk from potato does not react on my keyboard. I know
> there is being worked on. I tried to copy my own kernel to the disk in
> stead of the original zImage. I tried arch/ppc/boot/zImage,
> chrpboot/zImage and several others. When I boot the floppy loads the
> image, but the macscreen freezes (the kernel is not booted).

i believe this zimage is really just a gzipped vmlinux file.

so may a copy of /boot/vmlinux and gzip it like so:

gzip -9 /tmp/vmlinux

and try that.

> So:
> - which image is needed so my mac will boot it

the vmlinux.coff kernel *might* boot directly from OF on your
machine.  copy it to the root of an hfs or msdos floppy and try
something like:

boot fd:,vmlinux.coff

> or
>
> - can I just rawrite a zImage on a floppy and load it with quik (in this
> case, what are the OF commands for acces to the drive)

i am not sure about this.