Re: Interested in adopting the premake package

On 25 December 2012 17:06, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Vincent Cheng wrote:
>
>> First of all, thanks for volunteering to package and maintain
>> premake4! One of my packages (0ad) actually uses an embedded copy of
>> premake, which I would like to switch to using a system version if
>> possible, but of course premake4 isn't yet available in Debian...

You're welcome, I think it might get used a bit more with an up to
date version. Hopefully we can get some of your patches applied.

> Wow, premake4 itself embeds a copy of lua.

This is probably more for the benefit of Windows and Mac, The current
Premake Debian package links against the installed version of Lua
rather than building the embedded version.

> I would also suggest to upload premake 4 as source premake4 and binary
> premake4, probably before wheezy is released. The premake
> source/binary packages can be removed after the release or later if
> needed.

This sounds like the easiest way to proceed to me. Should I open a new
ITP bug for Premake4 or rename the current Premake ITA bug? Should I
make any changes to the existing Premake, there are a few bugs logged
against it although most should be addressed by creating a Premake4
source. Also should I base a Premake4 source off of the Premake source
package (e.g. keep the Debian changelog etc.) or start afresh.

Feels like I'm getting close to actually making the package now :)

> nyquist and ode embed premake4.exe (WTF?) and have a premake4.lua

It looks like a few packages are using premake for generating their
Windows build configurations but not necessarily other platforms.