Re: Interested in adopting the premake package

On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Cameron Hart wrote:

> I have been reading through the intro-maintainers page and linked
> documentation. One thing I haven't explicitly come across is renaming
> executables.
>
> The upstream Premake package renamed their executable from 'premake'
> in Premake 3.7 to 'premake4' in Premake 4.0. Are there any issues I
> should be aware of around executable names changing when upgrading
> from upstream?

I'm not sure about with premake, but there are several places where
executable names are stored apart from in the package itself:

In the brains of users. This is probably not an issue since most
people use tab completion to type executable names instead of manually
typing them in full.

In the headers of scripts. This can be a problem since all the scripts
need to be adjusted. If the new version  of the language is not
compatible with the input files then this isn't an issue since they
need to be adjusted anyway. If the two versions are compatible there
is zero reason to rename and upstream should revert the change.

In automated build systems and other scripts. Similar issues as above.

Is this more of a python2 -> python3 transition? or a python 2.6 ->
2.7 transition? What else changed apart from the executable name?

Are there many packages using premake in Debian? If so you will want
to request a transition slot after wheezy is released:

http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ReleaseTeam/Transitions

--
bye,
pabs