Re: leechcraft (closes ITP bug, 33 days have passed)

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 23:23:06 +0200
Boris Pek <Tehnick-8@yandex.ru> wrote:

> > This seems to be a bit excessive.  There is no real use in having
> > many tiny packages for every function; please keep in mind that
> > this will make the Packages index even larger (which also affects
> > users that do not even have the package installed).
>
> Hmm, I have not thought about such an effect. It's bad news. I will
> think that can I do to decrease number of packages. This will damage
> general idea unfortunately but it is really more important.
>
> > For example, I think many of the leechcraft-azoth-* packages could
> > be merged into a single package: they do not seem to be very large
> > nor introduce large dependencies according to an build log I found
> > on launchpad[1].
>
> Yes, this is true. But its sub-plugins realise different communicating
> protocols. Of cause they can be disabled in settings dialog, users
> will not be able to remove unnecessary plugins completely.
>
> Also I will look to other similar software. Like kopete, pidgin,
> etc...

gstreamer is also distributed with many plugins per package. I think
that approach has more advantages than disadvantages compared to one
package per plugin. For users that want to use most of the plugins,
having them in individual packages will waste more disc space in package
overheads than they'll save by only having the plugins they need. And
installing/upgrading many small packages takes longer than one large
one.