Re: How to maintain a large symbols file of a C++ library

On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 12:21:16PM +0100, roucaries bastien wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 12:18 AM, Thomas Weber <tweber@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm in the process of converting Debian's Octave packages into a
> > structure with proper library packaging. The symbols file of these three
> > C++ libraries has about 30k lines.
> >
> > I'm pretty new to symbols handling, so I'm looking for advice on
> > how to handle this. Is there a simple way to reduce the pure size of
> > this file? Or is this size normal?
> >
> > Further, looking at dpkg-gensymbols(1), it seems I should take
> > special care about some C++-features - can you point me to an example of
> > how to do this?
> >
> > Thanks
> >        Thomas
>
> Try to use hidden linking before doing this. Ask upstream hel, if needed.

Do you mean GCC's -fvisibility=hidden? If yes, I'm at a loss at how to
do this in a sensible way - if the symbols were exported before,
changing this in Debian might break other software that actually uses
these symbols.

> BTW do you need help on arpack ?

Opps, thanks for pointing me at this. I had totally forgotten about
arpack being bundled.

	Thomas